For more than 25 years, Matt Berman has been bringing thoughtful legal counsel and strategic business advice to his clients, with an emphasis in business development and strategic partnership generation.
Matt prides himself in delivering to each of his Berman Strategic Legal Services (“BSLS”) clients hands-on expertise, with detail-orientated communication and outstanding organizational skills that enable him to manage successfully multiple business initiatives in both start-up and fast-growing competitive environments.
BSLS specializes in a wide range of corporate legal matters and business affairs, in addition to business development, real estate, intellectual property, trusts and estates and turnkey litigation services including strategic negotiation and mediation.
FRACTIONAL GENERAL COUNSEL
BSLS handles day-to-day legal matters, working as your senior business attorney, on an on-demand basis, at a fraction of the cost of either hiring a full-time executive-level general counsel or relying exclusively on law firm counsel.
Negotiating and drafting contracts
- Software/technology/license agreements
- Contract research and development agreements
- Professional services agreements
- Development/outsourcing agreements
- Early-stage financing agreements
Negotiating, drafting, and reviewing leases
- Real estate
Handling employment and immigration matters
- Offer letters and employment agreements
- Severance agreements
- Employee handbooks
- Non-immigrant work status and visas, employment and family-based immigration visas and permanent residence status, and U.S. Citizenship
Managing Corporate Governance
- Attending board meetings and drafting minutes
- Preparing and managing stock option plans
Risk Management Policies and Procedures
Privacy and Data Security
- Healthcare regulatory (HIPAA, ACA, STARK/Anti-kickback)
- Data privacy (privacy policies, privacy compliance, US-EU Safe Harbor Certification)
Because BSLS is available to work on site at your location, we develop intimate knowledge of your business, allowing us to develop trust relationships with key individuals. Like a full-time in-house counsel, we can have email addresses on your email system, have an extension on your phone system, and take other steps to be part of your management team.
NEGOTIATION AND LITIGATION
There are times when going to court is necessary to protect your business interests. Likewise, there are instances when negotiation and avoiding litigation is the prudent course of action. Trusting your legal counsel to navigate your business disputes is critical and you can rely on BSLS’ expertise to help you confront these situations.
The goal in litigation matters is to find the most efficient and cost-effective means to resolve your business dispute, while still achieving the best possible outcome. Matt has deep experience in negotiation and litigation and will assess your specific situation, outline your options, and help you choose the best strategic path for the circumstances.
Whether you have been served and need to defend yourself against potentially baseless claims and allegations, or you need to address a situation in which another party has damaged you, your reputation and/or your business interests, BSLS will always be there to provide you with the legal support and counsel you need and expect.
Small businesses need and deserve quality, cost-effective legal services; the same level of counsel afforded to big businesses. BSLS provides services customized to meet the needs of your business, whether you are at the start-up stage, planning for growth, preparing for transition, or anything in between.
BSLS provides business legal services including:
• Business entity selection (C-Corp, S-Corp, LLC, D/B/A and more) and formation
• Industry-specific regulatory compliance and licensing matters (City, County, State or Federal)
• Contract drafting, review and negotiation
• Landlord/tenant real estate negotiations and contract review (leasing agreements)
• Employment/independent contractor agreements (non-compete/solicitation, trade secret protection)
• Partnership, joint venture, merger agreements, articles of incorporation or organization
• Vendor negotiation and agreements
• Letters of intent, asset purchase, buy/sell agreements
• and more
BSLS handles everyday employment issues for business owners and contractors. We draft employment agreements, employee handbooks, policies and procedures, non-compete and non-disclosure agreements, and independent contractor agreements. BSLS stands behind its work in court, enforcing the rights of the business in contract litigation, wage and hour disputes, and more.
BSLS advises and consults legally on the best means to select, obtain, maintain, protect and enforce your copyrights at both the State and Federal levels in trademarks, service marks, trade dress and trade names.
We files trademark and service mark applications with the USPTO, and file Appeals with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) once a final Office Action is received. Additionally, BSLS helps you manage trademark registrations so that the investment made in your mark is protected during its use.
EDUCATION AND ADMISSIONS
Juris Doctor from the Boston University School of Law, Class of 1992
Bachelor of Arts in History from Brown University, Class of 1988
State of Tennessee | 2003
United States District Court, Middle District of Tennessee | 2014
United States District Court, District of Massachusetts | 1993
United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit | 1993
Commonwealth of Massachusetts | 1992 (Retired)